Saturday, 30 November 2013

Jordan Baines working with 'Our Horn is Not Medicine'

Here's a great story from one of our Level 5 students, Jordan Baines. Jordan is working on a project about environmental issues, specifically Rhino poaching. Jordan posted a comment sharing his print making with Our Horn is Not Medicine a charity anti poaching organisation. They were so impressed that they contacted him to discuss the possibility of using his illustrations in the future.


Here is some more info about this from Jordan, plus some background as to why he's so interested in these issues...(the following excerpt is from Jordan).

This is the link to the ''ABOUT'' section on Our Horn is Not Medicine's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Our-Horn-is-NOT-Medicine/281799365229401?id=281799365229401&sk=info

How it came about; - I used their posts as a platform for my current contextual research and I thought I would just post my image of my screen print on their page, just to show them what I'm up to. They commented on it and got in contact with me.

Below are some photos from my trip to South Africa, I volunteered for 3 weeks earlier in the year at a centre called Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre. They primarily deal with cheetahs but also help other animals too. For instance they have just taken in two poached rhino's for rehabilitation. At the centre they have an array of animals from cheetahs, king cheetahs, lions, buffalo, ostriches, nyala, impala, zebra, vultures, caracals, servals, leopard tortoise, donkey's, chicks, african wild cat, a monkey, mongoose, rat and a goat to name a few haha... yes, it was the volunteers responsibilities to feed ALL of the animals on site on a regular basis :) Needless to say it was an extremely hands on experience.

https://www.facebook.com/HoedspruitCheetahCentre ... HESC Facebook Page
http://blog.hesc.co.za ... HESC Blog
http://blog.hesc.co.za/2013/07/ ... HESC Blog ( The updates when I was a student there )




Photo 1
Me and a Friend Nat who I met out there, sat on Sebakwe, he is the biggest elephant at Camp Jabulani, also the same elephant that was photographed for SA national spirit, Amarula ... Similar to Baileys. Me and Nat have talked about doing a fund raising event for the local rural primary school children who we worked with on Mandela Day 2013. She lives in Switzerland but is from UK, her school agreed to do a fund raising dinner party for her. However on the other hand in January / February I am currently in the progress of organising a small exhibition using Garbo's Hair Salon in Albert Road. I'll be using my last two projects work. I made contact with a guy called Nick Forbes, he has just completed fine art masters in Portsmouth. He runs 3 locations for young local artists to get their work out there. It's called +Art.


2nd photo
The bus we drove around in whilst in SA. This photo was in Kruger National Park, at the time I was unaware that it was the gold mine for rhino poaching as over 500 rhinos have been poached this year. KNP is the size of Wales so its pretty huge and huge struggle to maintain. Poachers tend to poach on the boarder of Mozambique as if they are 'rudely interrupted' by KNP rangers they can flea to Mozambique where the guards can't do nothing about it. The photo I took myself and edited using my Sony Xperia.



3rd and 4th photo
I'm sat with a tame Cheetah called Cunchie. It was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. it was our treat and to say thank you for all our hard work over the last 3 weeks. 1 point in the stay we had to shift between 9 of us, 7 TONS of frozen meat at 6am. Also every other day do butchery and prep the all the big cats feeding, ie, cheetahs, lions, wild dogs etc...
 



We did have fun, I river rafted, slept out in the bush where the big 5 were present (Scary stuff), had a chameleon eat a meal worm from my lips! Visited KNP, went on a micro-lite flight, experienced SA rich and beautiful culture first hand and learnt so much from animals, conservation, languages, culture EVERYTHING!

Below is one of my illustrations, coloured in with the children form a local community school which HESC sponsors. This was on Mandela day.


I have more photos, over 800 in fact! haha :D
I could talk about this all day haha, Ive just realised the length of this message. Sorry!



I'll keep you guys posted about my two small exhibitions in Jan and Feb and the contact with Our Horn Is NOT Medicine. Hope you enjoyed reading, do check out the links and flick through the sites. Especially the HESC one's, it'll give you a more detailed documentation of what they are up to and been up to :)

Thanks,
Jordan