Sunday, 9 March 2014

Alumni - Charlotte Hockley

Hello, I am currently working as an Art & Photography Technician at Queen Mary's College.
There's great artwork on exhibition soon, photography, illustrations, weaving, fine art, printmaking, textiles are all on display. 
We were proving that teachers (and technicians) can create too. Dispelling the notion of 'Those who can, do. Those that can't, teach.' I went back to my uni roots for inspiration for my illustrations and created a series of collective nouns/groups of animals which I have put in amusing situations. I have already sold a couple of them and the exhibition isn't officially open yet, which is very exciting! I also designed the poster for the exhibition (based on a graphic novel layout. Playing on the on the idea that teachers are like superheroes. Hence the title - By day, they teach. By night, they create. Well, that was the idea anyway) One of the Textiles teachers also went to University of Portsmouth to do the foundation year, before going to Manchester. She is an excellent weaver and has some amazing cushions made from alpaca fleece.

We are having our Private View on Tuesday 11 March 5pm to 7.30pm. It is at Proteus Creation Space, Council Road, Basingstoke, RG21 3DH. It is open to the public 10-21 March Monday-Friday 9.30am-6pm, Saturday 9.30am-5pm, closed on a Sunday.

Regards Charlotte (graduated 2009)