Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Dale Silvester - Alumni

Hey everyone!

So it’s been a while, but I thought I’d check in and let you know what’s been happening since I graduated.

As some of you will know, following the New Designers show earlier this year, River Island invited me to an interview for a potential one month placement as a menswear designer. In preparation for the interview (apparently I was one of twenty people invited) I used some of my existing Illustrations and designs to create a large format mock up to show how they appeared on a variety of t-shirt styles. I felt the interview went well, but was still in shock when  they offered me the position a day later!
The time spent working with professional designers and creating my own original designs, made me realise how much I wanted to work in this field. The working environment is fast-paced, but extremely enjoyable. I found that the majority of designs follow the basic principal of our projects during the first two years of my degree – except you had to research and subsequently create multiple outcomes in a matter of hours!
Depending on the subject matter/style of the desired outcome, pretty much all of the designers would use either Photoshop or Illustrator to create the design, however if a certain brush or effect could not be created digitally, we were encouraged to use watercolours, pastels, or whatever we needed to create it manually! I thought I’d add this information for any future graduates that wanted to explore this field of design – digital skills are absolutely essential.

Anyway! Following a very successful placement, I was thrilled to discover that eight of my designs had been selected to be made into t-shirts! These have all been added to the official River Island website and are now in all River Island stores in the UK. I’ve added a couple of links below so you can see some of the outcomes, but all of them are on the website. Apparently some other designs I created while helping out with Boyswear will also be available next Spring.



The placement finished around a month ago and I have been working full-time at Southern Electric since…. This is however, until River Island emailed me two weeks ago and offered me a PERMANENT role as a Graphic Menswear Designer! It would seem that my t-shirts sold really well and my boss and other higher management were really impressed with how quickly I grasped what was required of me. I officially start on Monday 7th December and will be staying in London Monday-Friday until I eventually move.
I can’t quite express how excited and overwhelmed I am for this opportunity, and just want to thank each and every one of you for helping make this possible.

All the best,